There’s no better way to get a good back stretch in than with backbend pose.
Here are some benefits of Backbend pose:
- Expands the chest
- Strengthens the back muscles
- Improves spinal flexibility
- Stimulates the digestive organs
- Heart opener
- Energizes the body
Tips for beginner yogis:
- Practice backbend pose by facing a wall and pressing your hips against the wall for a deeper bend. Place the hands on a wall.
- If your flexibility isn’t quite there yet, place your hands on your lower back with the fingers pointing down rather than reaching your arms above your head.
- Lift through the torso to avoid compressing the lower back
- To exit backbend pose, bring your gaze back to the front first before lowering your arms.
Backbend is a great pose to ease into your yoga practice as you begin to work on increasing your spinal flexibility. For the breath, it may be more difficult to breathe with your mouth closed while your head is tilted back. It is fine to inhale and exhale through your mouth while in this pose.
I love backbend pose, and I’ve gotten so much more flexible! Let me know in the comments how long you like holding backbend pose for, and as always, I will see you all on my next post!
Yoga can help you get through a busy day without having to leave your home or office.
Jumpstart your practice with this short, easy to follow, 5-day yoga course packed with tips, yoga pose alignment tutorials and sequences that are easy to remember. Plus, lots of other tips and other yoga and wellness content that I share exclusively with members!