So, you want to start your yoga practice, but you don’t know what you need to have for your first class.
Whether you’re starting a new home practice, you hired a private instructor (maybe you’re starting your practice with me), or you’ve signed up for some classes at your local yoga studio, being prepared with the right attire and props can really set the tone for how serious you will take this new journey towards a more balanced health regimen.
What do I need for my first yoga class?
- Yoga Mat – There are many types of mats to choose from. Yoga mats are considered an investment, and choosing the right mat for your needs can definitely affect your practice in a good or bad way.
Here are some recommended mats you can start out with:
1. Eco Friendly Non-Slip Exercise & Fitness Mat
2. NBR Comfort Foam Yoga Mat for Yoga and Pilates
3. 2 in 1 Yoga Mat; with Integrated Non Slip Microfiber Towel
- Yoga Blocks (2) – These are great for assisting in poses when you are starting out. They help to support multiple parts of the body during different poses.
Try these blocks:
1. Latex-Free EVA Foam Yoga Blocks
2. YOGU Yoga Blocks Set of 2 EVA Foam or Cork Wood
3. Purity Wave Yoga Blocks, Set of 2 Natural Cork Brick
- Yoga Strap – Straps are useful to help you reach more leg flexibility. Useful for poses such as king dancer’s pose.
Some straps that I like are:
1. SANKUU Yoga Strap, Multi-Loop Strap
2. Clever Yoga Strap – Durable Cotton Exercise Straps
3. Yoga Strap for Stretching
- Water Bottle – Keep your water cool and easily accessible when you need to take a quick drink during your practice with one of these.
Some of my favorite water bottles:
1. HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel Water Bottle w/Straw
2. Clever Yoga Stainless Steel Water Bottle
3. Namaste Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Comfortable Tank Top – What you wear is very important. Very loose clothing can impede your ability to get in and out of your poses swiftly. It can also be uncomfortable if your shirt keeps lifting up when you’re in upside poses such as down dog, or if your shirt can’t wick away moisture and it gets soaked with sweat.
Check out these tank tops:
1. Epic MMA Gear Fitness Tank Top
2. Women’s Short Sleeve Yoga Tops Cool Dri
3. Yoga Tank Tops for Women, Stretchy Sleeveless Shirt
1. Men’s Tank Tops – 3 Pack
2. 5 Pack: Men’s Dry-Fit Active Athletic Tech Tank Top
3. Ogeenier Men’s Training Quick-Dry Sports Tank Top
- Yoga Pants – Wearing the appropriate style and fabric of pants during yoga can significantly help you to hold poses like crow or hip openers like three-legged dog and half pigeon.
These pants will help you have a more enjoyable yoga practice:
1. IUGA High Waist Yoga Pants with Pockets
2. AFITNE Women’s High Waist Yoga Pants
3. DIBAOLONG Womens Yoga Pants Cutout Ripped
1. HDE Mens Workout Jogger Casual
2. YogaAddict Men’s Yoga Long Pants
3. Gerlobal Men’s Gym Workout Shorts
- Eye Pillows – I love to use these during Savasana (corpse pose). It helps me to relax and go into meditation much faster.
I have used these in the past:
1. Gaiam Relax Restorative Eye Pillow
2. Lavender Eye Pillow Weighted Eye Mask
3. Eye Pillow with Lavender Aromatherapy
- Yoga Mat Towel – As you start to sweat, your mat can get slippery. Using one of these on your mat will give you the perfect anti-slip texture to keep moving on your mat.
Try any of these towels for a more comfortable practice:
1. Yoga Mate Perfect Yoga Towel
2. SHANDALI GoSweat Non-Slip Hot Yoga Towel
3. Galsports Non Slip Hot Yoga Towel
- Sweat Towel – Having a small towel handy to wipe off is definitely a must.
My top recommendations are:
1. Mettadali Yoga Hand Towel
2. SINLAND Microfiber Gym Towels
3. MISSION VaporActive Yoga Hand Towel (Pack 2)
Having these items with you when you start your yoga practice will ensure you are 100% ready for class.
Do you have any questions? Sound off in the comments below, and I’ll connect with you all on the next post!